The SAP Basis Administrator is responsible for the management of the SAP system landscape. The SAP Basis Administrator responsibilities include configuring, monitoring, tuning, and troubleshooting the SAP technical environment on an ongoing basis as well as scheduling and executing the SAP transport system. The SAP Basis Administrator collaborates to resolve SAP transport and source code problems. The SAP Basis Administrator is responsible for the installation, upgrade, and maintenance of SAP systems. Additional areas include the evaluation and design of interfaces between SAP and external systems, maintenance of the SAP Data Dictionary and database objects, and manage the migration of SAP database and application configuration into production as well as analyze, develop, and maintain data architectures and process models within SAP.
A key area of responsibility is the documentation and updating of the existing SAP environment and work with IT and business units to modernize the SAP environment. Solution Manager configuration and monitoring experience is a necessity. The SAP Basis Administrator must possess the ability to analyze situations and provide problem resolution. Excellent written and oral communication skills are a requirement.
Example activities include:
- Implement and maintain the SAP System Landscape that comprise the SAP environments (development, test, training and production). This includes installations, upgrades, performance, security, sizing, support and connectivity SAP applications (Netweaver, ECC, BW, Solution Manager, Portal, BPC).
- Maintain the integrity of the SAP System Landscape by managing the Change and Transport System (CTS) to ensure all configuration and development objects are promoted properly.
- Configure managed systems and central monitoring of the SAP System Landscape via SAP Solution Manager.
- Introduce technical changes into the environment using a structured approach that minimizes risk and achieves high reliability, availability and performance of each SAP instance Including GUI and end user support.
- Design and implement an optimal SAP configuration to maximize system performance and availability.
- Install and configure all required SAP database servers and application servers.
- Manage SAP users, authorizations, roles and profiles.
- Distribute the online SAP user workload and monitor and manage the SAP background job workload.
- Configure and manage the SAP printing subsystem for all SAP instances.
- Maintain SAP performance by planning and executing SAP tuning strategies.
- Installation and configuration of system monitoring using Solution Manager/CCMS. Monitor all SAP systems (work processes, users, system logs, short dumps, locks, developer traces, system traces, disk space, etc.). This includes monitoring disk size and utilization, system performance, process configuration, load balancing, SAP router configuration, peripheral device definition and configuration.
- Administer the SAP database with Database Administrator (plan and perform database upgrades, apply database maintenance, design and maintain physical database layout, perform database reorganizations, design and implement backup and restore strategy, maintain database security, administer database performance, manage database storage, database problem determination and resolution, etc.). This may include database upgrade/migration in SAP Netweaver platform. Experience in migrating to HANA is a plus.
- Perform System Refresh and SAP client administration (create client, copy client, delete client, export/import client) as required.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of SAP system upgrades. This may include upgrading/migrating SAP NW environments (ECC, BW, Solution Manager) in Linux/Unix/Windows platform.
- Apply and migrate SAP maintenance (hot packages and kernel upgrades) through all systems using a structured methodology.
- Develop and maintain system documentation for all SAP instances and interfaces.
- Provide status reports for projects to management.
- The basis administrator will also serve as a key central point of contact for providing day to day consultation in troubleshooting, analysis, and implementation of SAP-related system solutions.